Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What do turtles eat?

Yesterday Aidan and I went on our walk like we do most mornings. They have turned into somewhat of a "nature walk." As we go along, we look at the different trees and flowers in the neighborhood, the lakes. We also pick up leaves and flowers (dandelions and clovers). Aidan gets a kick out of holding on to them as we walk and pointing new things out. We also pick up a pine cone or two on the same corner, every day. As we start to approach, Aidan will say, "pine cone, pine cone." Those are his favorite. He'll talk about them the entire walk, showing them to me time and time again.

On this walk we walked on the sidewalk that surrounds the lake. I always look for ducks, geese and turtles to show Aidan. Well I found a turtle fairly close to the sidewalk and pointed it out to Aidan. He was so excited and wanted to get down. It was just a little paint turtle but I didn't want him to touch it so we just watched it. Next thing I know, Aidan is handing me his pine cones and pointing to the turtle saying, "pine cone, pine cone." I took the pine cone and tried to "feed" it to the turtle and Aidan was happy. I don't know why he thought the turtle would eat a pine cone, but he did. Clever kid.

No comments: