Thursday, April 23, 2009

20 minutes at Walmart

Tuesday, April 21

Both boys slept in, both woke up in great moods. Aidan asked to take the ambulance (what he calls the mini van) to the store. So after going back and forth with myself... weather, time, nursing, etc, I decided to just go. After all Aidan was willing and I needed to go to Walmart. I called Mario and he said, "That's brave of you." Owen fell asleep on the way. There was a dry cart in the parking lot waiting for me. Owen stayed asleep in the cart. Aidan was being so good. I was getting all my shopping done. I was thinking, wow, this is too good to be true. And I am going to get home in time to nurse. Owen woke up right before we were getting in line to pay. There were only 2 registers open. And you know how everyone shops at Walmart, every cart was full. The lady, 2 carts in front of me, was having everything price checked and taking forever. Owen starts to cry... and cry. A cashier in the fast lane finally after about 10 minutes of the line not moving takes pity on me and offers to check me out. Owen continues to get louder and louder. I decide I will nurse him when we get to the van and give Aidan a snack. We won't make it home. Everyone stares as I try to leave Walmart gracefully with a screaming infant. He's whaling in the parking lot. And then... it starts to rain! I rush to get both boys in the van; I'll buckle them in after I get the groceries unloaded. Finally I get Aidan a snack; grab Owen out of his seat to nurse him and my hand is wet. He had a blow out diaper. Now he is really screaming. I scramble to change the diaper without getting poop all over the van. I manage to get him changed but don't bother to dress him. He has on a diaper, socks and I put his jacket back on him. He nurses. Everyone is happy. We are ready to go. Aidan asks to watch Veggie Tales. I tell him we can because he was so patient. I start the van and get ready to go and Veggie Tales is over. I can't find the remote so I have to climb back to the back of the van and start the movie over. Luckily we hadn't left our parking spot. Now we are on our way home! Ugh. I was quite proud of myself for staying sane and calm. And I forgot to mention I had to pee really badly. The interview with the lady from Oprah who pulled out a diaper and used it on a road trip flashed through my mind. Don't worry I didn't do it. ;o)

No comments: