It seems the past month or so I have been noticing the tiniest things, which really are the biggest things. For instance, a couple days ago Aidan and I were sitting down to breakfast and he was feeding himself cereal (btw when did he get big enough to do that?). I am watching him lift the spoon to his mouth so easily and I notice he has real wrists. I almost started crying. Where did the chubby little wrists go?
A couple weeks ago the boys are having a "special snack" as Aidan calls popcorn. I decide to let them eat it in the living room. Owen has his bowl on the carpet and decides to crush his popcorn every where. I enter the room, see it and don't get mad, just simply say, "Owen if your going to make messes with your snack you'll have to eat at the table." Aidan turns to me and says, "Oh Mama. It happens. Little babies make messes." What?! When did Aidan become this wise little parenting expert?
I got a chuckle the other day because Aidan had me put some music on so he and Owen could dance. They're in the living room dancing and I hear Aidan say, "Owen, shake your boots off!" I was cracking up. He meant shake your booty. Too funny.
Owen is very much into monster trucks right now. He is very serious when he plays with them. He will get them out and have them perform all sorts of stunts and tricks. He likes to get our attention at times and make sure we watch when he figures out a particularly fancy move. Owen also loves to communicate. He will notice a plane or a fish anywhere and excitedly tell us and sign it to us.
The boys have really started to play together and interact. I love to see them play together, but with that comes fighting. It's hard to believe my babies are old enough to be quarreling siblings. At the same time, they have this sweet bond and really love each other. Owen loves to go get Aidan from nap if he wakes first. He can't wait to see him. And if I mention to Aidan we are going somewhere, he always says, "And Owen too." Plus they seem to have their own language and understanding. Quite often these days a toy or something will disappear, Mario, Aidan and I will tear the house up looking for it and sure enough we can't find it. Aidan will go ask Owen for it, and how they understand each other I don't know, and sure enough Owen will find it.
Plus I guess my boys are older than I realize. ;o) I got a new cell phone this week and while at the store, Aidan and Owen were looking at the phones. Aidan tells us after some deliberation, "This is the phone I need." Notice the word need. I thought I had a few years before anyone was asking for their own cell phone. Then I am getting ready to go to a neighbor's to get my hair cut yesterday. I tell Aidan we are getting ready to leave. He looks at me with his serious little face he makes and says, "Owen and I can stay here." As if they are old enough to stay home on their own?! And how did he get that idea? Time goes too quickly as it is and here he wants to rush it even faster.
I love that I am at a point in my life where I realize the biggest gifts are these little things, these little ordinary, every day things. I am so thankful to Mario that he is a wonderful provider for his family and I can stay home to experience all of this.
Friday, January 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment