Here's my journal entry from today... my latest moment of mommy brilliance.
Some might argue that I am a somewhat intelligent woman. I graduated top of my high school class, I have 2 engineering degrees from great universities, I’ve managed men and women twice my age, been responsible for millions of dollars of equipment, and even helped to maintain the safety of equipment on the North Slope of Alaska. Today I think that can all be questioned or it really confirms that 2 pregnancies sucked the little intelligence that was left in my brain out. First I was making lunch and what do I do, place a Zip-loc bag on a hot burner. I’m still trying to remove the plastic from the stove top. Next I decide it would be nice to take the boys for a walk. Nothing unusual about that. I put Owen in his exersaucer and leave Aidan playing with his cars while I go out the front door to get the stroller ready. I’ve done it a hundred times before. I go up the porch to go inside, turn the door handle to the storm door and its locked! Aidan locked me out. He’s smiling inside the window. So proud of himself. I didn’t even know he knew how. It is so true that kids see more than they hear. He’s seen me do it every day. I run to the garage door praying I left it unlocked. Nope. Locked. I run back to the storm door thinking I can reason with a 2 year old. Again, great example of my intelligence. I even try the door again thinking maybe it will open. I start freaking out, running through what can I do in my mind, all the way to deciding which window to break in. Meanwhile Aidan has closed the front door as well, has started screaming crying and Owen is as well. I try to scream over Aidan to get his attention. I know the neighbors must have thought I was crazy. Then I decide to ring and ring the door bell. While I am doing it I think, “Why would he answer the door? I’ve never taught him to do that.” I knock and knock on the door. Finally Aidan opens the front door and I can see him again. I calmly ask him if he can unlock the door for Mama. He tries twice and presto, it’s unlocked. Will I ever leave the house without a key again… nope! Thank God for the gift of laughter.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment